Clients, Coaches and Families
If you are a former athlete I’ve worked with and are willing to share your story, drop me an email and I’ll put your story here as well. Even better, give me a call and let’s catch up. -MM
Case Studies and Stories
I have had many requests not just for stories, but what athletes did in their mental training. While most every athlete I’ve worked with goes through an entire program certain skill sets were of particular emphasis or help. Here are a few selected stories from the last 30+ years. I tried to cover a few from each decade. Below the stories are a few of the many testimonials I felt I could put on here.
- DeAndre Yedlin, age 19. College Soccer. Coaches felt he struggled at times duing his freshman season. Mental Game training, relaxation/ guided imagery, anchoring. Played in every game as a sophomore. Started all but one. 3rd in assists (he’s a defender. Signed his first professional MLS contract after his sophomore season. Starter on MLS team. All-Star in his rookie season. Played in U-20 World Championships in Turkey. Currently on US Men’s National Team playing in Brazil for World Cup. Now playing in England for Tottenham Hotspurs.
- Female age 17. High School / Club Gymnastics. She could not do her dismount from uneven bars. States were the next day. She had to move on to Regional’s and Nationals to be seen by Ivy League Coaches. Had State Championships the next day when I was called. I worked with her at the gym. CBT and hypnosis. She has been accepted as a gymnast to Brown.
- Male age 17 year old male football player. Quarterback. Recovery from sever back injury and surgery. Confidence, pain management, flexibility, psych rehab. CBT, relaxation training, hypnosis. Surgery in late May. Player started out 2nd string. 3rd game in having missed all spring ball and most summer workout promoted to starter. Preparing now for senior season.
- Female age 15. Club Soccer. Confidence and anxiety. She is a very small player. Good touch and tough. Told by everyone but her club coach that she was too small. Club coach is a soccer genius. She was moving on to a new club. Issues with High School coach. Confidence building, cognitive techniques and imagery rehearsal. Cut from high school team. Will be playing in college next year with a full scholarship.
- Female 20-22 Female figure skater. Confidence, stress, coaches expectations and sponsor. Worked with skater for 1.5 years through the world championships. She had difficulty dealing with her abusive coach. Hypnosis, CBT. Going into world championships rated 5th in the world. 3rd in USA. Won Bronze medal in World Championships ahead of #2 US skater. Earned a trip to the Olympics.
- Male age 22. Ranked 3rd in the world in decathlon. US DI & DII Champion. Wanted to build mental skills for the Olympics. Small stature. Good at speed events. Weight events were an issue. Two of the primary events we were working on were discus and shot put. He improved by 27 and 18 percent respectively. Primarily used goals setting, relaxation and imagery rehearsal. Plan was to focus on more events as the year progressed. President of the United States cancelled US participation in Olympics and because of time restraints backed off mental training. I still have contact with him. Successful businessman in CA. I do some occasional work with his daughter. It has been 34 years.
- Male age 18. Club and HS Soccer player. Psychological rehabilitation following injury. Following a torn ACL parents brought client into talk with me. I know the family. Player decided SP not for him. 4 months later one month after returning to practice he blows out his ACL again. Same issues and added problem of playing premier level for his coach father. Father is a recognizable name in the coaching community. CBT, confidence building, goal setting, NLP and imagery. Player returned to play. Will play next season at a community college to get his grades up. Grades improved his senior season (one of his goals) to the point where he has drawn interest from DI & DII Universities.
- Male age 18. High School Football. Headed to a military academy prep School. Mental Toughness. Worked on full mental training to prepare him for DI football. He ended up leaving prep school because of military lifestyle and academic goals. Has had an offer and has enrolled in an instate DI university to play football.
- Female age 21. College walk on golfer. Confidence, pre shot routine, self talk. Worked on mental skills training on and off the golf course. After performing well in tournaments she was offered a scholarship for her senior year.
- Junior A Hockey Team Males ages 16-20. Mental toughness, goal setting, Last year they went 22-20-3 in their first year. I did some Skype work with them to prepare for playoffs. This year I spent a week with the team in training camp focusing on mental preparation and skills. Today they are 21-8-1 with about 15 games remaining. They have been competitive against the top teams in the country.
- Female early 40’s. Show Jumper. Confidence, negative self talk, focus. High level show jumper looking to be competitive at the next level. Imagery, goal setting, concentration training, CBT, hypnosis. She has made large strides advancing two heights. In 8+ competitions this winter she has finished no less than 5th out of 30+.
- Male age 13-16 yrs old. Male Figure Skater. Confidence, lacked fluidity. Great athlete. Mental skills training A-Z for 2 years. First encountered athlete as a research subject at the USOTC. Most helpful was imagery rehearsal with a focus on timing, absorption of music into performance, coping behavior. Eventual US National Champion and World Champion.
- It’s Mauricio. I’m glad I caught up to you. Man it’s been a long time. Things are good. I have a small business and nice family. I still think about how you helped me pursue my dreams towards the Olympics. The thing with the discus was so crazy. Be well my friend and let’s stay in touch.
-Mauricio, Business Owner, Orange, CA
- Hey Mike,
I hope to have you come speak to the team again this Spring as we aim for two championships in row! Your help pre-race helped our team tremendously. Thanks again!
– Coach JD, Track & Field Coach, Colorado Springs, CO
Among the many things I’m grateful to my son’s coach for doing is putting us in touch with you. You’ve given Patrick a lot of the tools that he uses on a daily basis now, whether in baseball or life, and they are a tremendous asset. I’m sure he’ll appreciate more and more as he matures.
-Donna G, Programmer, Redmond, WA
- Mike Margolies was effective in helping me to recognize how flaws in my thought processes play a role in feelings of anxiety about work and career. He taught me how breathing and meditation exercises can be effective tools for controlling anxiety and worry. These tools help me to stay in the “here-and-now” so I can better recognize what I have control over and what I do not. Mike is a positive and supportive counselor who I would recommend to others without hesitation.
–Dan M, Microsoft Engineer, Redmond, WA
I’m sorry that we didn’t catch up with you at the game. In any event, I wanted to tell you that we’ve seen a transformation of James, both on and off the field. Other people close to the team, parents, coaches, and players, have also noted the change. You will probably receive some referrals, based on your work. It’s really everything we had hoped for. I just want to thank you for your work and hopefully we’ll have that opportunity to meet again in the playoffs!
-Jane M, Realtor, Bellevue, WA
I know I’ve told you this a hundred time, and maybe you will let others know how I feel now, but think you again for helping me with my game. I would have been lost on the golf course these last few years if you had not been there for me. I know you hate the words magic, but that’s the way it seemed to me. You helped me discover what I was passionate about, why I played golf in the first place, and that helped me go from Nike Tour to the PGA tour. The rest of life has been great for me.
-Jon, PGA Golfer, Orlando, FL
Our daughter was very comfortable working with you. You provided a warm, comfortable and relaxing environment that definitely helped speed through the rapport building part of the process. This obviously made us feel more comfortable also.
You went above and beyond in learning about her sport and the dynamics of her coach and her as an athlete and as a person. She did actually enjoy coming to meet with you . . . looked forward to it. The ideas/instructions and work was well tailored to her needs and issues as well as her age and maturity level. As parents we appreciated the brief updates you gave us on a regular basis. The work was focused, yet broad enough and even more beneficial because it applied to her on other levels not just the sports issue.
Overall, it was a very good and beneficial experience. In addition to helping with the specific performance issue I think it was good for her to experience this kind of “professional” help and know that that are people like you in the world that can help by talking these things out and offering professional guidance.
-Sandy W, Financial Analyst, Seattle, WA
You really do rock. OK did I really talk like that? I guess I did. You must have thought I was out there just because of that. I had a great career as you know. I’m not sure I’d have gotten there if not for your help. You taught me so many things I don’t know where to start. Learning to be accountable for my actions, self confidence and handling stress was key. Ten years in the NFL was so quick. You said it would be. My mind is still strong can say the same for the knee but that was the risk of course. Jess is doing great. I’m going to send Jenny out next year before she starts college soccer.
-Tom J, Former NFL Player, San Diego, CO
- Hey Mike,
Can’t thank you enough for helping with Anne’s breathing problem. Since she has worked with you she can play the whole soccer match. You taught her to handle her anxiety. She made varsity and is a very happy kid. Thanks again.
-Michele A, Financial Adviser, Sammamish, WA
It was great seeing you on the course last week. Since the workshop I attended I’ve dropped my handicap 5 strokes. I’m now taking money from my buddies that for years took it from me. Such simple suggestions and my game is so much better now. The one thing you didn’t mention was how different I would feel no longer being the guy no one really wanted on their team at corporate events. I was going to get you together for a corporate outing and I thought why should I share the secret. Just kidding. I’m going to get it scheduled for May. I think we will have 15 to 20. Looking forward to having you on campus.
-Bill S, National Sales Manager, Los Angeles, CA
I don’t know if you remember me. This is Marcus H. You might remember me more by my gang name XXXXXXXX. I just wanted to let you know that your time was well spent. You’re pulling me along, holding me accountable and teaching me not only to take care of my mental game but to love sport really did keep me in school. That was a few years ago of course. In June I get my Bachelors degree. Mom still tells the story when I ditched your session and you came into the hood looking for me. I just want you to know that if you hadn’t come to get me that day, I don’t think I would be walking in June.
-Marcus H, Electrical Engineer, Los Angeles, CA
This is Coach Bobby Sxxx . Your class on the Psychology of Coaching that you did here years ago not only helped me, but our community. I talk with Jack W every week. He was the basketball coach in the group. We both use what we learned in the course and if nothing else the experience for our young people seems so much better.
-Bobby S, Retired High School Coach, Worland, WY
Running into you last week was awesome. I haven’t seen you in maybe 10 years. I just wanted to tell you again how great it was to see you. You really helped me through the knee rehab so I could have a great senior year at UXX. I have great memories from college and senior year was best. It never would have happened if you weren’t there for me and taught me how to focus psychologically during the rehab process. I’m coaching HS football now as an assistant. I think I do a better job at it because of what I learned from you. It is very meaningful to me to work with kids. I make enough $, and helping kids is a different type of reward. God Bless and be well.
-Johnny K, High School Football Head Coach, Richmond, VA
You were right of course, it was time to either go to work on a real career or dedicate myself to golf. You helped me through a tough time. I was kind of lost. Sometimes I think that I should have kept playing and then I look at my kids and know I made the right decision for me. I’m glad you were there to guide me.
-Jason A, Transit Manager, Fullerton, CA
What can I say? I’m not sure when I was 15 I really appreciated what you were teaching me to do with the imagery and relaxation. I do now know that it really helped me get to where I wanted to go with skating. The folks say hi and thanks as well.
-Susie Y, Business Owner, Dallas, TX